The May’s Service Center Homebrew Tent will return to the Lititz Craft Beer Festival on September 24th, 2017. We will again invite the brewers of the top 10 entries to our homebrew competition to pour their beers for a public vote and prizes.
Full details are below, but here are the highlights of this year’s competition:
- Entries due Wednesday, August 16th at Lancaster Homebrew
- Top 10 will pour at the 2017 Lititz Craft Beer Fest on September 24th
- Two bottles, two bombers, or a growler to enter
- Five gallons available to pour September 24th
- Prizes are Lancaster Homebrew gift cards and a chance to brew at Joboy’s Brewpub
- $5 per entry. Limit 3 entries per person. Payment will be made upon drop-off. If paying by check, please make it payable to “Lititz Craft Beer Fest”
- Two (2) 12 oz. bottles, two (2) 22 oz. bombers or one (1) growler per entry for first-round judging. Please provide this beer ID form with your entries. Skip all other labels–entries will be identified by a number and style only during judging.
- At least five (5) gallons, bottled or kegged, are required for the finalists to pour the day of our festival in the Homebrew Tent. Finalists have run out of beer in the past, so please bring five gallons.
- If kegged, dispensing for the finals is available, however; you may bring your own dispensing equipment if preferred.
- We recommend brewing all five gallons plus enough to submit up front before preliminary judging occurs. Time is limited; there are only about five weeks between the date the finalists are chosen and the festival. If you’re brewing something that tastes better when it’s slightly aged (e.g. saisons, belgians, etc…), brew it all at once!
- Lancaster Homebrew is offering a 50% discount on homebrew supplies for all ten finalists (should they choose to re-brew for the festival). Discount cards will be handed out to the finalists and can only be used on ingredients for the competition.
- Please identify the style of beer you submit on the beer ID form using the BJCP style guidelines. We will categorize entries before preliminary judging based on the styles identified on the forms.
- This is not a BJCP event. However, the judges will be using the same scoring system.
- Drop off your entries at Lancaster Homebrew, 1920 Lincoln Highway East,
Lancaster, Pennsylvania. Contact us at email@example.com if you’re unable to drop off at this location.
- The preliminary judging will take place the week of the submission deadline. The ten (10) best beers, as determined by a panel of judges, will be announced between August 19th and 26th.
Homebrew competitions are about pride, proving that your beer is the best; worthy of a nod from the professional craft brewing industry. JoBoy’s Brewpub in Lititz will make a homebrewer’s dream come true by offering the opportunity to brew the winning beer at Joboy’s and with their brew master, and the result will be served on draft.
- Each top 10 finalist will receive two (2) free tickets to the 4th Annual Lititz Craft Beer Fest. Each finalist will receive free entry to the beer fest and can distribute their complimentary tickets amongst friends and family.
- Brewer’s Choice: Brew at Joboy’s Brewpub & be on tap until it’s gone
- 1st Place Vote: $500 Gift card to Lancaster Homebrew
- 2nd Place Vote: $250 Gift card to Lancaster Homebrew
- 3rd Place Vote: $100 Gift card to Lancaster Homebrew
- August 16th – Entry deadline. All beer submissions must be dropped off at Lancaster Homebrew by this date.
- August 19th – 26th – Top 10 Finalists Announcement
- September 45th – Top 10 Competition in the May’s Service Center Homebrew Tent at the Lititz Craft Beer Fest. Finalists need to bring their beer to the festival. If you wish to submit your entry beforehand, please let us know and we’ll schedule a drop-off.
No entry will be accepted from any person that the committee determines, in its sole discretion, is submitted by a person or entity that is a licensed brewer, is in the process of attempting to obtain a license, or is employed by or directly affiliated with any licensed brewer.
If you have any questions, feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here are the top 10 finalists from each of our previous years. There is no significance to the order of the lists after the placeholders.
- 1st place: Maple Bacon Coffee RIS
- Chris Harvey & Caitlin Miletto
- 2nd place: Yuzu Session Milkshake IPA
- Derek Wolf, Brad Moyer & Dean Pierce
- 3rd place: Goin’ Broke IPA
- Ryan Foltz & Sam Son
- Hop! In the Name of Love
- Matthew Kupchinsky
- Hazy Shade of Summer
- Craig Fahnestock & Mike Baer
- Red Craic
- Brian Wagner
- Melon Felony
- Tim Myers
- Blood Orange Wheat
- Mike Adair
- Slice of Life/Blood Orange
- John Scanlon
- Moral Dilemma
- Matt Topper
- 1st place: The Gourd, The Bad, The Ugly
- Steve Anderson
- 1st place: Stowaway Stout
- Adam Chamberland
- 2nd place: Solar Terminator
- Derek Markel
- 3rd place: Surfboard Session IPA
- Matt Ranauro
- Pumpkin Pecan Pie Porter
- Travis Markel & Damien Garloff
- Double West Coast IPA
- John Palmer
- Hop Along IPA
- Steve Foose
- Batch 40 Pale Ale
- Andy Good
- The Rites of Signage
- Shane Pawelczyk
- Tropical Implants w/Citra
- Derek Markel
- 1st place: Scottish Ale
- Kathy Yellets & Kelly Fedin
- 1st place: Smoked Chipotle Porter
- Brian Thomas, Jason Clement & Will Meiser
- 2nd place: Smashed Wolf
- Allen Arslanian
- 3rd place: Bride of Zombie
- Harold Ford
- 4th place: Pale Ale
- Brian Wagner
- California Blonde
- Craig Fahnstock & Mike Baer
- Sour Cherry Berliner
- Jon Briggs
- Italian Breakfast
- Dean Pierce & Steve Buller
- Post Ride Pale
- Eric Stoffer
- Hot Pine IPA
- Michael Foster